A terrific new book "Onward & Upward - Guide For Getting Through New York Divorce & Family Law Issues" was just published. I co-authored this book.
The book is a collaborative effort, with chapters written by lawyers and non-lawyers, all experts in their respective fields, covering myriad of family and matrimonial law topics, including:
- Children (e.g., custody, visitation, support, paternity, child protective proceedings, adoptions, kidnapping);
- Marital Dissolution (e.g., grounds for a divorce/annulment, spousal maintenance, equitable distribution, religious issues);
- Special court actions (e.g., family offense proceedings, conciliation proceedings, Persons In Need of Supervision);
- Contracts (e.g., prenuptial/postnuptial agreements, cohabitation agreements, pet agreements, surrogacy agreements);
- Planning through life transistions; and,
- Alternative dispute resolution Processes (e.g., litigation, mediation, collaborative law, neutral evaluation).
What makes this book the quintessential primer on divorce is that some of my co-authors are not lawyers but experts in related fields offering sage advice to reduce stress, and to facilitate the transition from marriage to divorce. Among these experts are a parent coordinator, parenting coach, nutritionist, image consultant, mindfulness and lifestyle coach, personal trainer, credit repair professional, professional organizer, insurance professional, private investigator and real estate professional.
In the chapter I wrote, I detail the various phases of a New York litigated divorce., I delve in the procedure and discuss the various phases of a divorce, including: commencing the action, pleadings, discovery, motions, court proceedings and trial. I also offer negotiating strategies to avoid a trial.
The book is available for purchase on both itunes and amazon
I would love to hear your comments.